Like so many women out there, I am a wife, mom, and do-it-all handyman, err- woman. I wanted to create a blog that can help us as women get back to what's really important. It's time to get priorities straight and make life better for ourselves and our families in these troubling times. I plan on having multiple pages to touch on each aspect of our lives- including what others expect of us, as well as the pressure we put on ourselves. I hope my posts will touch someone out there and help her days be sweeter!


Friday, June 11, 2010

SUMMERTIME

5...4...3...2...1.........SUMMERTIME IS HERE!!!

Now that school is out and the kids' schedules are free as a bird, mine is about to go bonkers. Say goodbye to the quiet daytime where I could get chores done with out them being undone within 5 minutes (excluding laundry...my 2 yr old can't stand a stack of folded laundry, it needs to be on the floor where he can roll and jump in the clothes!). I am tempted to implement my old preschool schedule and curriculum styles to help keep the summer from being total chaos. No vacation for moms.


Have you ever noticed that when it's time for a vacation, it's the mom who gets everyone and everything ready. It's the mom who sacrifices her sleep to get the house completely clean the night before so she doesn't have to come home and have a mess stare her in the face. It's the mom who keeps the kids in line and clean when out in public doing whatever touristy vacationy thing on the agenda (and usually stressed out to the max to make everything wonderful for the rest of the family). It's no vacation for her, but she does it anyway. Why? She does it because she loves her family and wants her children to have fun and exciting memories of their childhood. Now some of you out there I know are blessed with partners who help out tremendously. You guys are very lucky. For those of us that don't, we need to find a way to keep our heads on straight during these stress ridden times. If possible, give yourself a "time-out. I've had to hide in the bathroom for a few minutes before so I could cry alone without being asked why. I hate being asked why I'm crying. Go and be alone for a few moments and take a deep breath. Cry if you need to. Punch a pillow. Then think of how happy you truly are, despite the frustration, for being able to spend time with your family making memories. Shift your thinking just as we are with priorities. We put this time in selflessly so our families can have a good time. So why are you mad about it? Most likely you knew ahead of time it was going to be a LOT of work. You agreed to do it, right?

So much of today's society tells women they need to have an easy life. Women deserve to live a pampered life. Women need to have their outside life take president over their home responsibilities. Life needs to be stress free. I'm sorry, ladies... I don't go for that. Yes, we need to take care of ourselves. We are what our children see day in and day out. We are their examples of how to behave and treat themselves. This means hygiene (spa days every once in a while are totally acceptable), regular exercise, appropriate attire (moms don't have to be in rags), our attitude portrayed is what we expect to see in return from them (like respect), having a "yes" and "no" button that are two and distinct buttons, and taking life as it comes and learning from it. I loved this quote as a teenager..."I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it." God requires us to sacrifice. NO ONE is an exception. Our lives are meant to have trials and be difficult. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer by any means. I am a realist. I have found happiness in my trials. I have realized that by going through and learning from my trials, I am stronger and am more able to use my God given talents. I have grown as a person. How could that not make anyone happy? If you haven't shifted your thinking, this is hard to understand.


Simply put, don't dwell on things you have no control over. Find happiness in your accomplishments. FILL YOUR CUP.

No comments:

Post a Comment